Everyone must practise good hygiene to protect against infection and prevent the virus spreading.
When you practise good hygiene you:
- cover your coughs and sneezes with your elbow or a tissue
- put used tissues straight into the bin
- wash your hands often with soap and water, including before and after eating and after going to the toilet
- use alcohol-based hand sanitisers
- avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- clean and disinfect frequently used surfaces such as benchtops, desks and doorknobs
- clean and disinfect frequently used objects such as mobile phones, keys, wallets and work passes
- increase the amount of fresh air available by opening windows or adjusting air conditioning
Alcohol-free hand rubs have not been shown to be effective against viruses like COVID-19, and experts recommend against using them.